Sefton Park is located just 10 minutes’ drive from Liverpool city centre.
Sefton Park is Liverpool’s biggest park and home to the beautiful Victorian-era Palm House. There is also a huge children’s playground, a lake, and the bandstand is said to have been the inspiration for the Beatles’ 'Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club'. There is plenty of free street parking nearby. To get here by public transport, take the 75, 80 or 80A bus to Ullet Road (buses run every 5 minutes). There is a small café in the park to provide refreshment while you try and find the 8 statues of famous explorers surrounding the Palm House, including Captain Hook and Christopher Columbus.
The site of the park was once within the boundaries of the 2,300-acre, Royal Deer Park of Toxteth which became "disparked" in 1591. The land eventually came under the control of the Earl of Sefton.
In 1862 the Borough Council Engineer recommended the site for development. The Public Works (Manufacturing Districts) Act 1864 permitted corporations to borrow sums of money of up to half a million pounds to be repaid over thirty years. This allowed steps to be taken towards the purchase of land for Sefton Park. In 1867 Liverpool Council purchased 375 acres (1.52 km2) of land for the development of the park for £250,000 from the Earl of Sefton.
Not long after, a European competition was launched to design a grand park. 29 entries were received. But the competition was won by a French landscape architect Édouard André with work on the design also undertaken by the architect and Liverpool born Lewis Hornblower. Sefton Park was opened on 20 May 1872 by Prince Arthur.
Sefton Park went through an improvement programme in 1983 prior to the International Garden Festival. In 2013 Sefton Park was granted the prestigious Green Flag Award for high standards which it still holds today.